Friday, December 14, 2012

Vaccinations, Haircut, and Tragedy

Today was a full day.  We had August's 6 month vaccinations this morning.  He is almost 7 and 1/2 months old, but he got his vaccinations today since he had the flu when he was 6 months old.  I know vaccinations are kind of controversial, and I don't think parents need to feel the need to defend their decisions when it comes to vaccines, but we have chosen to vaccinate.  My thought behind vaccinating our kids is that we don't know what the future holds.  We may be called to the mission field in a faraway country where disease is more prevalent than in the U.S., and it will be a huge relief to know that our kids have been vaccinated.  Also, it seems like there are more and more outbreaks of various diseases in the U.S., so I am glad to know that we have prevented as best we can.  I can see the other side of the fence though.  Are vaccinations causing more harm than good?  Is it a government conspiracy? No lie, I wonder about those things sometimes.  But you know I was vaccinated as a child, and I am doing alright.  It's really an individual decision for each parent to make.  I don't feel strongly either way, I just know this is what we have chosen for our family.

Anyway, dunno where that tangent came from.  After his appointment we got some breakfast from Bojangles and headed home for a nap! Oh, by the way, Adam was off work today since he had a vacation day that expires at the end of this year.  So he took today off.  After a nap, I headed to my haircut appointment.  I had just planned on getting an inch or two trimmed off, and I decided literally right before she started cutting that I wanted it chopped off.  I got it chopped off when I was pregnant, and I remember that I loved it.  It was so easy to style and made getting ready a lot faster.  These days I'm all about convenience, but I would like to still have some style.  So I opted for an angled bob.  I'm so rebellious, I know. ;) 

Adam and I had an easy night at home this evening.  August was running a low fever from the vaccines and was a little fussy, but he was able to eat half a banana for supper.  We spent the evening cuddling and loving on each other.  As you know, there was a tragic shooting in Connecticut tonight.  I heard bits of the incident throughout the day, but I didn't really know what had happened.  I heard the full story on the radio for the first time late this afternoon after my haircut when I was sitting in traffic.  I was stunned.  20 children shot....why???  I can't believe it.  I started crying in my car.  Being a parent now means so much more when I hear news like this.  I can't imagine the pain those parents are feeling right now.  I can't imagine.  I don't even know how to offer any condolences.  I don't even know what to say.  I know that God is sovereign.  I know that all of those children are with the Lord right now.  I know that Jesus is holding all of them and has wiped their tears away.  I know He loves them more than anyone could ever love those kids.  But I also know that they are there because of someone's choice.  Someone's selfish, ignorant, satanic choice.  I don't know what that man could have been going through to do that.  I do know that he is getting his punishment right now.  I am scared for him.  I'm scared for his eternal punishment.  I know people wish he was alive so that he could receive the death penalty or that they could shoot him in return, but he is getting his punishment right now.  And I do not even want to think about what it is like for him.  How tragic.  I'm just so in shock about this situation.  I just feel like our schools are not safe anymore.  I know the school that I worked in routinely practiced lock-down drills.  I am so thankful that we were extremely prepared.  Our principal and vice principal did an amazing job at equipping the staff to deal with those situations.  But I know things like this still happen because there is still sin in this world.  I will be praying for those families in the weeks and months to come.

Well, I started this blog post with just wanting to quickly mention a sweet comment that Adam gave me today, and then decided to tell you about our day, and then decided all I could think about were the victims of today's shooting.  That's so sad that I have to type that...."today's" shooting....because it seems like there is one almost every day now. 

I will end with Adam's compliment.  Tonight as we were watching Shark Tank (our favorite show during the week), a Walmart commercial came on.  In the commercial, the lady ended up saving $50.  "I will buy a new pair of shoes!" she exclaimed.  Adam looked over at me and said, "I'm so glad that whenever someone mentions $50, you think of our grocery bill instead of shoes."  That was one of the best compliments that I have ever received.  I am so glad that my husband knows my heart for our home, and my desire to manage our money for God's glory.  I'm definitely not perfect when it comes to finances, but I do try to spend them in a way that would be pleasing to God.  I don't say any of this to toot my own horn, cause God knows I do not have a horn to toot.  It just makes me feel really good to know that Adam notices my efforts and that gives me encouragement to continue to manage our finances well.  Thanks for reading, y'all.  Always feel free to leave a comment.  I love hearing from you.  Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik