Wednesday, February 20, 2013

August's 1st Valentine's Day

Well, I'm only about a week late writing about our Valentine's Day.  I really wanted to document it for memory though.  It's funny how Valentine's Day completely changes once you are married with kids, but I think it really changes for the better. 

When I woke up and came into the kitchen, I was greeted by a dozen pink roses, 2 packages of chocolate, and the sweetest card.  I love that Adam writes his own messages in cards.   I was a little surprised to see all of this, especially since we had decided we weren't going to spend any money on Valentine's gifts, but I know Adam couldn't stand the thought of ignoring Valentine's Day.  I didn't fuss at him for spending the money, I am just thankful that he cares that much.  He even put the roses in a vase!  That goes above and beyond in my book. :)

Excuse the poor quality of my pictures lately.  My old phone (that I had replaced about 3 or 4 times) crashed again.  It had an 8.0 megapixel camera....and the "equivalent phone" that they sent me as a replacement has a 2.0 megapixel camera.  Ummm.....not the same thing.

I had planned for August and I to make Adam something homemade, so we stuck to the plan.  I wanted August to make Adam a homemade card, and I would make him homemade Somoas, since that's his favorite cookie, but I ran out of time on the cookies.  I can share my chocolate. :)  I decided to let August paint Adam a card.  We also made one for my mom and dad, Adam's dad, my Nannie, Grandmommy, and Aunt Frances.  Everyone we made a card for, except for Adam and my parents, are widowed, so we thought it would help to brighten their day to receive a Valentine.  Here is August's first finger painting experience!

He started out with a paint brush, but I had to take that away since he kept trying to put it in his mouth.  The crayons are from a failed attempt at coloring.  He couldn't bear down hard enough for it to really show up.

He decided this is pretty fun!......

.....and then decided it's not actually as much fun as he thought.

After this, we both got in the bathtub where he screamed and held onto me and refused to touch the water.  We tried a couple nights a few weeks ago to give him a bath in the "big boy bathtub."  He kept crawling around and sticking his face underwater.  Needless to say he is now traumatized from the water and has discovered that he is not invincible.  So we are still bathing him in the infant tub in the bath tub.  I thought he would be fine since I was in the bath with him, but he HATED it.  Don't worry, there are no pictures of this. :)

We spent the afternoon delivering the Valentines and made it home in time for August to have his afternoon nap.  He didn't take a morning nap as much as I tried.  Here are some pictures of how the Valentines turned out!

I took the paper he had painted on and cut hearts out of it.  I had originally planned for him to make each of them a whole picture and I would glue it to the purple paper, but August didn't last that long.  So this was Plan B. :)
Here is Daddy's card!

Everyone signed it of course...including the dogs.  They always sign every card. :)

That evening after Adam got home, we decided to go out to our favorite local Mexican place.  Nothing says Valentine's Day like Mexican!  Haha.  We let Baby #2 pick, so that was "her" choice. :)  (I really think it's a girl.)  We had a great time with August in tow.  He was content most of the time, even though we didn't head out to dinner until about 7:45.  (His bedtime is 7:30).  They had t.v's so that kept him distracted most of the time. 

It was a great Valentine's Day for sure.  I wish I had a picture of us out to eat or something, but here is the picture we had made the night before at the church Valentine's dinner.  Thanks for reading! :)


  1. Y'all are so cute:) Clever idea with the Valentine's cards too!

  2. Thank you! :) And thank you again for the consignment pass! :)


Images by Freepik