Wednesday, August 29, 2012

You're So Vain...

So this post is a little embarrassing for me to write, but I need some accountability here.  In the past several months, I have been taking on a "less is more" philosophy.  We had a yard sale, and I made some good progress cleaning out things that we don't use.  I begged Adam to get rid of things/clothes he doesn't need anymore, but I still have some things of my own that could free up some major space in our little house.  

Yes, I have been hiding a dark secret under our bathroom counter.  Apparently I have been hoarding........ 



beauty products.




In all honesty, I knew I had a good amount of products down there, but I didn't realize how much was down there.  I mean really, who needs 4 cans of mousse and 3 cans of hairspray?

Hair stuff
Body stuff

Smell goods

Basket is random makeup I don't use very often, and makeup bag holds makeup I wear every day.  Oh look, is that another can of hairspray?  Make that 4 hairsprays total.

And no, the random makeup was not already organized in this little basket.  It was shoved in plastic drawers and other random places.  

So given that I own half of the contents of Walgreen's, I have put myself on a makeup strike.  I have actually been on it the past month or more.  I am not buying any makeup unless I have completely run out of something (for example, mascara.  I use up my mascara, and I don't have any old ones I've held onto because they start growing bacteria after 3 months.  Yuck!  That should be the only thing I would need though).  I am also ashamed to say that it has probably helped us out a ton financially.  I don't know what it is, but I just have trouble going into Walgreen's or somewhere like that without feeling like I need to buy something that smells good or is supposed to make me look pretty.  I think that is the world getting into my head. The world gives us girls the message that we are never pretty enough....or we would be pretty enough if we just had this one product.  It's crazy.  So, enough!  

I am calling this "Project Use It Up!"  Catchy, I know.  :)  I am going to use up all of my products.  Yep, all of them!  

Well, except for these.

Headed to the trash!

These guys are either super old, all used up, or a prime example of why you don't buy a supposed to be expensive foundation off of ebay. (Josie Maran!)  

So anyway, "Project Use it Up!"  I am doing this with not only beauty products, but shampoo, conditioner, chapstick, etc.  All of that stuff that we (or I anyway) never actually use up before buying the next thing.  So far, this has actually been a very freeing experience.  I like not having to feel like I need to buy something.  I think worldly stuff just gets in the way.  I believe the more stuff we have, the more our stuff owns us.  Think about it, we get bigger houses because we run out of room.  But how much stuff are we holding onto that we really don't need or use anyway?  I don't want to be owned by my stuff.  I want to have room to breathe, room to serve others, room to fill my heart with Christ.  This is just one of the little steps I am doing to clear my head and my heart so that God can have all of me.  If you would like to join me on "Project Use It Up," just leave me a comment below and let me know!  It feels much more official and accountable if you tell others you are doing it.  Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I have been doing this too! I'm running out of foundation, so I've been mixing it with my moisturizer to stretch it a few more days:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That's a good idea! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik