Thursday, May 31, 2012

August's Birth Story: Part 2

We were kind of in a rush when we left the house.  It was a few minutes after 7 already.  We went to Chick-fil-A for my "last supper" since it was right across from the hospital.  We only had about 30 minutes to scarf some food down.  As I was trying to stuff the sandwich down my throat, tears welled up again.  I could barely eat.  I didn't finish my sandwich or my fries, as much as I tried.  I knew it would be a while before I could eat again, but I just couldn't fit it in my stomach.  I was so nervous.  I stared out the window of the restaurant at the flowerbed.  For some reason, that flowerbed is one of those flashbulb memories that I distinctly remember.  Does that ever happen to you?  Something big is about to happen, and you just want to look at something normal.  Something that has no idea what is going on?  Maybe I had issues, I don't know.  But I remember that.

At 7:55, we drove across the street to the hospital.  I touched up my face with some powder and lip gloss, and tried to look like I hadn't been crying.  I really didn't want to go into the induction upset.  I wanted to be excited.  We found a parking spot and unloaded our things.  I was proud of how little we packed.  We had a "carry on" sized suitcase that contained both mine and Adam's clothes, a backpack that held my computer,    our Kindles, a couple books, and some snacks, the diaper bag, Boppy pillow, and my purse.  Not bad at all for the way I can pack. :)

We walked into the hospital and checked in.  The lady at the desk seemed impressed that I had already filled out the paper work ahead of time.  She gave me a hospital bracelet with all of my information on it and had us sit in the waiting area.  Sit in the waiting area?  I felt like I was just there for a doctor's appointment.  It seemed very casual to wait in the waiting area.  I'm not sure what I had expected.  So we waited about 10 minutes.  It seemed like an hour though.  Finally, the receptionist called my name.  We gathered up our bags and headed upstairs, following the directions she gave us.

As we walked through the double doors of the labor and delivery floor, we were greeted by two very young and upbeat nurses.  They acted like we were girlfriends from way back in high school.  I tried to act carefree along with them, but Adam and I both knew I was acting.  They casually walked me to my room, asking me if this was my first, and just a few general questions.  They also asked me why my doctor was choosing to induce, and the only thing I could reply with was "I don't know."  A few seconds later I remembered, "He might be 10 pounds.  We're not sure."  They pointed in the direction of the lounge for Adam, showing him where he could get coffee later.  We walked into my delivery room.  It was smaller than I had pictured and a little more medical looking than I liked, but it was nice for a hospital room.  I really liked the big windows it had.  It made it not feel quite as snug.  I sat down on the bed and the nurses asked me some questions and had me sign some paperwork.  Very scary paperwork I might add.  "What is your blood type so we can get you blood if you hemorrhage?  Are we allowed to resuscitate in the event you quit breathing?  Please sign here indicating that you understand that we will do what is best for you first, then what is best for the baby.  What is your religious preference?"  I didn't understand the reason for the last question.  Adam told me it was in case something were to happen and they needed to send someone to talk with us.  Yes, scary and serious questions.

After the paperwork and questioning was over, the nurse gave me a hospital gown and sent me to the bathroom to change.  "Everything goes except for your bra, unless you want to leave it off," she said.  Really?  We're already to that part?  I wasn't ready yet!  I went into the bathroom and changed.  I tried to figure out how I could walk out without my butt showing.  If you know me, you know that I don't show anything.  No nakedness for me, thanks.  I casually walked out of the bathroom, holding the back of the gown closed.  I brought a bathrobe for moments like this, but it was still packed away.  Oh well.  I didn't realize that this was the last moment of dignity I would have for at least a week.

I climbed into the bed, and one of the nurses walked in with the IV hookups.  Adam had told me on the way there that he didn't think they would start the IV tonight.  After all, I was just going to be getting the Cervidil, so there shouldn't be any need for the IV fluids.  I knew better though.  They want you hooked up when you are in the hospital.  The nurse came over and sat on the bed.  She began cleaning the area on the side of my wrist for the IV.
"Big stick!" she said.
Do they all say that?  Just about every nurse says that before they stick you with something.  Do they learn that in school?  I looked away and stared at some cabinets on the wall.  Suddenly I felt the sharpest pain I have ever felt.  My whole body jerked, and my forehead began to sweat.  Was she done yet?  Oh my goodness!
"That just doesn't want to go in there does it?" she said.
"That really hurts!" I gasped, trying not to yell.
After at least a minute of almost unbearable pain she finally said, "Alright, there.  I think it's in.  Don't look down, it's a big mess.  I need to go get you a new hospital bracelet.  That one is a little messy now."  She quickly left the room.
I could have vomited right then.  I glanced down for a split second, and all I saw was red.  I decided not to look down again until she had replaced the bracelet.  I looked over at Adam.  His eyes were big as saucers. Adam does blood.  He's fine with that stuff.  He's been to Iraq twice.  But he didn't look okay with this blood.
"Was that her first IV ever???" he said irritably.  "I thought she would never get it in!"
He later told me that blood was actually squirting up into the air.  I'm so glad I hadn't watched.

While the IV fiasco was going on, the other nurse was standing on the other side of the bed taking my blood pressure.
"What is your blood pressure normally?" she asked.
"110/60, but it's been slightly higher the past few weeks," I answered.
"Well, it's a little bit high.  Higher than we would like to see."
"What is it?" I asked.
"What?!  Are you serious?"
"Let me check it again," she said calmly.
I looked at Adam.  I'm sure it was elevated after having the IV put in, but that was really high, especially for me.
"Hmmm...175/105," she said.  "We are going to have to run some tests.  Your blood pressure is too high.  Try to relax.  We are going to set up a urine test and take some blood."

Take some blood?  Seriously?  Why don't you just mop it up off the floor?  That should be more than enough...


Images by Freepik