Friday, October 21, 2011

12 Weeks Pregnant 10.17.11

Well, this post is up late.  Since I teach school, I have been on fall break this week.  I have been busy relaxing and getting the house in order. It's funny how I planned to use this week to really get on top of things, but unfortunately that didn't happen. 

Just before I turned 12 weeks, we had an ultrasound!  The baby is adorable.  It was sleeping, and the ultrasound tech had to get it to wake up so we could get the picture we needed to measure the neck.  She had to jiggle my stomach a lot.  It was funny.  You may remember from 11 weeks that we were getting this done to test for Down's Syndrome and some other disabilities.  The results would not have made any difference to us, we just wanted to be aware and be able to prepare ourselves if things were not progressing normally.  Thankfully, the results came back normal, and we got some cute pictures out of the deal.  You can see his/her hand up by the face! 





The second picture is freaky, I'm not gonna lie.  The other two are cute though. 

What was not so cute was the finger prick I had to endure.  The nurse who did it was in training, and after they stuck me (which hurt way worse than getting blood taken), I wouldn't bleed.  So they had to squeeze my finger really hard.  They had to get enough blood to fill 5 circles on this little piece of paper.  It was so painful.  No lie, I couldn't use that finger for a week.  It bruised so badly, and it was just killed me to touch anything with it. 



I wish I had a picture of the bruise it left the following days.  You seriously just can't imagine.  It was a botched finger prick for sure. 

I promise I am feeling movement from the baby.  I know everyone says it's too early, but I have never felt this before.  It has been going on for a little more than a week.  It is possible if you have a small uterus, which must be my case.  If I have been laying down for a while, I can feel a little flutter.  I know that has to be what I'm feeling.  We have also been using our doppler.  I promise I will do a post on that soon. I keep saying that.  We are still at 160 beats/minute!

This week I had my first meal where I could tell for sure that I was pregnant.  I would never normally eat this.  It's kinda making me gag looking at it now.


Hot dog and Easy Mac.  Not one of my best moments. 

Speaking of gagging, I had my first round of morning sickness this week.  This was on Monday, the day I turned 12 weeks, and the first day of fall break.  I think it was because I slept til 9:30 and didn't eat until 10:30.  I let myself get too hungry I think.  I'm hoping that was all it was.  The rest of the week I have made sure to keep something in my stomach at all times.


The belly continues to grow!  I have actually had a hard time with it this week, because NONE of my pants fit anymore.  Not even really with the Be Band

Pre-pregnancy pants getting packed away.  See you next year....I hope!

I am definitely not going to be one of those girls that can just wear her same pants for most if not all of pregnancy.  It has made me a little depressed.  I am excited about my belly growing, but I was just hoping I would be one of the few that got to stay in the same clothes.  Oh well.  The scale still says I have only gained around 2 pounds, so I guess things inside are just rearranging themselves.  Here's what's going on with me this week!

Your uterus has grown to the point where your healthcare provider can now feel the top of it (the fundus) low in your abdomen, just above your pubic bone. You may already be into maternity clothes, especially if this isn't your first pregnancy. If you're still fairly small and not yet ready for maternity clothes, you've no doubt noticed that your waist is thickening and that you're more comfortable in loose, less restrictive clothing.

You may begin to feel heartburn (also called acid indigestion), a burning sensation that often extends from the bottom of your breastbone to your lower throat. Many women get heartburn for the first time during pregnancy, and those who've previously had bouts of heartburn may find that it gets worse. During pregnancy, the placenta produces a lot of the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach. Particularly when you're lying down, gastric acid can seep back up the pipe, which causes the uncomfortable burning sensation. For many women the problem doesn't begin (or get worse) until later in pregnancy, when your growing uterus starts to push up on your stomach. The discomfort may range from mildly annoying to intense and distracting.

Here is what is going on with baby this week!


The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.
Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.

I'm just a few days now from 13 weeks.  It's hard to believe!  The time has started to go by faster.  I will be super busy the next couple weeks with school and church activities.  I have 3 special ed meetings next week.  We will also be at church every evening next week getting ready for the Harvest of Blessings.  I will do my best to keep up with the posting.  Thanks for reading!
 

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I made some cake for a bake sale and I had a few too many test pieces. Combine that with the pic of easy mac and hotdogs... ugh...

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik