Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pregnancy Week 36!

Wow. Wow. Wow.  I can't believe I'm 36 weeks pregnant!  That is insane!  We are finally coming close to the end of this pregnancy and meeting our little boy!  Adam and I can't believe it.  We talk about it all the time.  We are both so excited.  Adam is nervous (as am I), but I know he will be a wonderful dad.  He is one of those men who was just made to be a dad.  You can just tell.  I am so excited to see him as a father.  I can't wait!!!

This week I had an ultrasound as well as my 36 week doctor's appointment.  We couldn't see too much detail in the ultrasound since he is so big now.  I actually thought it would be the opposite, but each part of him takes up so much of the screen, it's hard to see much of anything.  We did find out that he is head down, and he is quite big!  At 36 weeks and 1 day, the ultrasound estimated him to be 7 pounds 7 ounces!!!!  Oh. My. Goodness.  I was born late (about 3 weeks late according to the doctor) and weighed 7 pounds 2 ounces.  Our son has me beat!  The doctor says that he is in the 82nd percentile for weight.  Oh my dear.  I knew he was big just from how big my belly is, but I didn't realize he was this big.  If he gains the average 1/2 pound per week from here on out, he will weigh a whopping 9.7 to 10 pounds at birth.  Adam of course is proud of this.  I am a little scared!  Yikes!

The ultrasound was yesterday.  I went back today for the doctor's exam and some tests.  For some reason our insurance wouldn't let us have a doctor's visit and an ultrasound in the same day.  Weird.  At the appointment today, my doctor did an internal exam, Group B strep test (yeah, that's not your average strep throat test, haha), and they did some blood work to check for HIV (routine).  I was really nervous about the internal exam.  I have heard from some people that it hurts and some that it doesn't hurt.  I will say this for the record.  It hurts.  Yes sir, it does.  I don't say that to scare anyone, but it does.  Thankfully it doesn't take very long, but it's not any fun.  I am glad that I know what to expect though.  I was a little sad to find out that I am not dilated, and there has been no progress made.  I was hoping for something, but I know that labor can happen at anytime, and I don't have to be dilated to go into labor.  I am hoping that since he is big, gravity will be in my favor.  Maybe with his weight pushing down, things will get going before too long.  I know I'm just 36 weeks, and I still possibly have 4-5 more weeks to go, but surely his weight counts for something!  Can't I be done now?  I guess the pelvic soreness I have been feeling is just the weight of him on my bones.  I was hoping it was more than that.  But there is still time!

My doctor asked me if I had considered induction.  She said she would induce at 39 weeks if we wanted, given his size.  Of course I would much rather go into labor on my own.  I only want to induce if there is a medical reason to, so unless he is just super overdue, then we won't induce.  So, in the meantime, I am going to try to get this baby out on my own.  I am going to start walking and whatever else I can do to get things moving.  I haven't been walking since I have been working til 6 most nights, and my swelling has been so bad.  But with working winding down (next week is my last week), I will have the time/energy to do it.  If you have any suggestions as to how to get things to progress, let me know! 

I am on spring break this week, which is wonderful!  I am using it to rest and get things ready around the house.  His nursery is pretty much done, I am just getting all of his things put away where they need to go.  The house is my main concern.  Yesterday I got the weeks and weeks worth of laundry caught up.  I am trying to get all of the cleaning done today and tomorrow (floors, bathrooms, kitchen, dishes, pantry, laundry room, etc).  I know after the baby is born, we will probably have a lot of friends and family stopping by, and I am just one of those people who cannot relax if I know my house is not as presentable as it could be.  I will sit and stare at one of Heidi's hairballs in the floor, hoping our company doesn't see it.  I don't want to have to worry about that!  I am also trying to make sure all of the "behind the scenes" areas are clean like the pantry, laundry room, closets, etc. in case someone comes to help me with laundry or cooking or something.  I don't want to feel embarrassed.

Our baby boy has definitely dropped.  Adam and I noticed the other night that when he went to hug me, we could actually touch.  Obviously not completely, but it was odd that we could get that close.  I have also noticed that when I drive or sit down, I have to make room in between my legs to accommodate my belly.  It's kind of gross.  I feel like one of those sumo wrestlers where their belly hangs down in between their legs.  Nasty.   My belly button has also popped out!  I didn't think it would, but it has.  It was flat for several weeks, but just within the past couple days it has popped out.  It feels like where you tie off a balloon.  Haha.  You can see it through all of my shirts now, which I hate.  But oh well.  Not much I can do about it!

Well, I need to go get started on my work!  I'm ready to have things looking nice around here.  Don't worry, I know a lot of you have been telling me that I need to rest, and I have been!  I have let myself sleep in every morning, and I do take breaks in between tasks.  So no worries!  Adam has also made me promise him that I won't overdo it.  So I am taking it easy, but chipping away at the to-do list as well.  I will leave you with my 36 week belly!  Thanks for reading!

36 weeks pregnant

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik